Sunday, April 6, 2014

Adenovirus

For all this time I spent looking forward to spring, we're still waiting for it to stop feeling like winter inside!

Four nights ago I checked on the boys one last time before I went to bed, as we always do. Nate felt slightly warm to the touch. I decided I'd wait and see how he felt in the morning. The next morning he was not himself. One hundred two degrees would do it. Que the medicine cabinet. 

By afternoon he fell asleep in my arms with me. He woke me up when his body started trembling. He was burning up. When I took his temperature this time it was 103.5 (and going to be rising from the shivering).

After a quick does of meds, I took him over to KidsCare to rule out any infections he could start antibiotics for sooner than later, but everything looked good. Verdict: viral. 

So Nate stayed on acetometaphin/ibproufin rotations every 4-6 around the clock for the next couple days. He was a consistent 102-103 without medicine in his system. 

He was starting into his third day down toward 100-101, so I thought he was going to slowly improve. Day four was back at 103, so he went in again, as directed if his high fever persisted after three days. I didn't expect any real change in verdict. But this time the doc admitted he probably had a nasty strain off adenovirus going around, lasting 5-7 days. Which was lovely to hear, since on our way out the door Gabes's only slightly elevated temps finally jumped up into a 102 fever too. He'll be a few days behind in the cycle along with Garrison too.

It'll be weeks like this that we understand why we have our Disney/Pixar movie collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment