Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Something Magical (Ultrasound)

Last week I could hardly wait until Thursday! It was ultrasound day! I had so long awaited that day to tell me some good news!

I'd heard other hyperemesis moms say that knowing the gender of their baby helped them to fight their daily battles with feeling sick--having a better image of their baby they were fighting for. My nausea had been picking up a notch again and I was looking forward to knowing too.

From the time just after we had Nathan, I hoped so dearly we would have a girl. The hopes of having a girl got me through some incredibly hard moments in the last few months. I wanted to have at least one of each. So I was convinced this baby was a girl. We were set on a girl's name, and really struggled with boys names. We shrugged it off thinking it wouldn't matter anyhow. I was excited to have my proof that day!

The tech started the ultrasound and started at the head and worked her way down, checking the brain, spine, heart, stomach, etc.

Then she went to check the gender. She paused the screen and said, "Do you know what you're looking at?"

Yes, I had seen it a few times before. It was a boy! Definitely. I choked out a, "Yeah."

We sat there in silence for a bit (Garrison was silent because he's 100% left brained and had NO idea what the blobs were on the screen at 90% of the time), while the shock sunk in!


The whole drive home I was still in shock. I wouldn't say that I was disappointed. I was being given a healthy baby, I wouldn't trade him now even if I got backsies! The first reactions from close family were, "You'll have to try again for a girl!" (Now those were the words that nearly had me in tears.)

I had to laugh. If there was anyone in the family with gender disappointment, it was Gabe! All his friends have a baby sister right now, and he REALLY wanted one too! He's accepting it now. He tells me he likes his baby, which is a brother. He's also convinced his name needs to be Thomas. Mom and Dad aren't really sold, but it'll at least be thrown into the consideration pool, right?

Anyhow, looking at these pictures the rest of the day and hanging them on the fridge did something magical.

I fell madly in love!

4 comments:

  1. And he's going to be as cute as the first two. I am excited for you guys to have three little buddies in the house. You are a trooper, hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Congratulations!!! You're an amazing mama, I know gender sometimes is hard but once he's here I bet you wouldn't be able to imagine anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I think it's fun how you recorded Gabe's opinions on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting! Thomas certainly goes well with Gabriel and Nathaniel!

    ReplyDelete